QUILTING WILL DOMINATE THE NEXT FEW MONTHS

TIME TO GET THIS FINISHED - 10 YEARS WORK IN PROGRESS

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

HOW LONG IS IT?

I've been getting a few nudges from faithful readers.

Where am I?

John and I continue to live in the 'garage' at our son's home in Christchurch. We're not homeless but sort of camping still with no running water. Hopefully all this is about to change.
A SUNRISE VIEW FROM OUR FRONT DOOR LOOKING TOWARD NEW BRIGHTON BEACH

My mother's house, the family Beach House, sold with the final payout in April. What a marathon exercise that has been. Our son, Wayne, approached us with an idea he and his wife had hatched up.  Would we like to stay here and convert our current living space into a comfortable Granny Flat? John and I had to think carefully, but the pros outweighed the cons by miles. For me it was a no-brainer. A few days prior our wee Granddaughter, Ava-Jane, who was about 2 years and 3 months old had walked across the driveway and knocked on our door to give us a good morning greeting. It was a very special moment for me.

John and I quickly realised that when we bought our own place we would wait many years before Ava would be old enough to visit us independently. We love to look after her even though she is very active and wears us out. It's so much easier to live on the same property. Wayne and Amanda have the freedom to make spur of the moment decisions to go out on their own. And we have come to appreciate that they don't take us for granted. Amanda now has a part-time job but has arranged childcare so that we are back-up only. Often a whole week goes by without us having full responsibility, even for a couple of hours. Some weeks we do more but however it works out we see our wee girl everyday.

AVA-JANE AND AMANDA ABOUT 2 YEARS AGO


We continue to appreciate the privilege of being a hands-on grandparent. More-so when we still have the freedom to do the things we enjoy too. We still love to travel and as our finances allow we continue to go the North Island from time to time and have at least one overseas trip in the pipeline. We also want to see more of New Zealand and our scattered friends and relatives.



Today we are waiting on builders. It's a beautiful morning. The sun shines brightly in a blue sky while the forecasters predict stormy weather, freezing rain and snow to low levels. John is putting on some washing and I'm going to hop in the spa before washing my hair. I have a quilt laying on the floor while I work at basting the top, inner wadding and back together so I can quilt it. This is for Ava-Jane's bed and is intended to be a forever quilt. Something that will hopefully last and be something she will still treasure at 21.

REVERSE SIDE


Another reason for my lack of blogging is that I am Window's 10 challenged. I have a new laptop and was hoping I would understand it better. I've just spent one and half hours trying to get the photos from some file or other so I could add them here. GRRRR!!!!! I don't have the patience to work all this stuff out. It used to be so simple to upload photos from my camera to my picture files. Now I find that half my photos are in some weird place and I don't understand how it works. I can see I need some tutoring ASAP.

It's already almost mid-day so I need to have some breakfast and get at least one of my 'to-doos' for today off the list.
THE BEACH HOUSE THAT CONTRIBUTED FINANCIALLY TO OUR NEW LIFE IN CHRISTCHURCH


5 comments:

JO said...

I happy you finally sold the house and can now move on. The quilt is adorable.
Now for windows 10 and photos, don't feel bad I had to have a friend come here about 4 times ugh I would try to talk you through it but would more than likely confuse you even more. I didn't post pictures for a long time and now I don't post because I have nothing to share.

MargieAnne said...

Hi Jo. Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. We have Seniornet community group who run classes. After today's efforts I will be looking them up to book into the next course. Anne

Retta said...

Upgrading your current living space sounds like a great idea. That sounds so special, to get to see Ava-Jane daily, and be a part of her life while she is so impressionable. Yet to be able to live your own life, too. A great arrangement. Sounds like things are calming a bit after all the hassle with the sale of the beach house. I'm so glad for you two!

Lynda said...

Hello Anne, lovely to hear from you!! It's wonderful news that you can now move on and get your own home but also isn't it lovely that you have had that time with your little granddaughter! I hope you can sort out your photos and computer issues soon because I look forward to more updates from you in the future :)

Lynda said...

Sorry, I misread your post - I see you are going to stay there but in a granny flat. That's a great idea, especially as you all seem to be getting on so well. Having your own kitchen, bathroom etc will be a dream after living in a garage for so long!