QUILTING WILL DOMINATE THE NEXT FEW MONTHS

TIME TO GET THIS FINISHED - 10 YEARS WORK IN PROGRESS

Monday, August 22, 2016

GEORGIA O'KEEFFE

Yesterday I wrote a blue post and decided not to publish it before I'd had a second look at it. I felt really down. Probably because it was the nearest to a clean food day I've had in ages. Maybe I had low blood sugar. Beside that our situation is not always easy. I wonder if I will ever have my own home. The months slide by and we are no closer to making plans than when we came south nearly a year ago. When you are 77 and your husband is close to 81 every month's delay is hard to bear.

But ..... I have been catching up with blogs I normally read. I was at least 6 months behind on most of them. Sometimes I wonder why I must read them all. I have such an eclectic mix. Weight Loss began this addiction and I have moved on into LCHF (Low Carb High Fat), Paleo, Wheat Belly, Fat Head and so much more, not to mention RV travel blogs and quilting which has overflowed into craft and art.

This morning I opened up a blog by Jane LaFazio, an artist and what a treat! Jane is in London visiting the Tate Gallery for an exhibition of Georgia O'Keeffe's work. She had a link to a BBC documentary. All I can say is Wow! I want more. What an amazing and interesting woman.

We first heard of Georgia O'Keeffe when we visited Santa Fe in 2006. This was our first, and at the time we thought it would be our one and only, trip overseas from New Zealand. We spent 7 weeks zigzagging from Miami Fl. to Mobile Al. to Indianapolis then west and on to California where we flew home from Los Angeles. One of the highlights was our day in Santa Fe. Unfortunately I didn't feel well which made it difficult to enjoy our walk around the city. Later I realised I showed signs of altitude sickness. I was so impressed by the architecture. I love the adobe style buildings. We visited a few shops including a tiny art gallery off the square where I saw Georgia O'Keeffe's work for the first time. We don't have money for famous art works and we didn't have space for anything much. I bought a couple of post cards and touristy stuff. From then on her work has fascinated me. I may not always like it but it grips my heart. After watching this video I now understand why. She painted with her heart and soul.
If you want a treat watch this 65 minute video.

It's good to feel like writing up a blog post. Hopefully more to come soon. We are moving toward spring weather. I love the hopefulness and joy that comes with spring. Here in the south we will experience more of a change in the season than we would on the Coromandel Peninsula.

I'll be back soon.


3 comments:

Gypsy said...

It's so good to see a blog from you again. I have a sister in law who is also an artist, and she thinks the world of Georgia OKeefe. I think their vacation one year, part of which was spent in Santa Fe, was the best time she ever had, and got to talk to other artists about O'Keefe's work.

I hope you soon get settled permanently. It is more difficult to deal with change and uncertainty the older one gets - I do ok with change but uncertainty does me in!

Retta said...

How wonderful to hear from you again! I hope it works out sooner than later about getting a home of your own.
I'm happy to read you are "eating clean" again. Because I know after the initial "detox" you will soon feel better and have energy to spare.

Lynda said...

Yes, good to hear from you :) I'm sorry you don't have your own home and that you are feeling down. Summer is coming - that might cheer you up? I know it cheers me up (well if I can lose a kilo or two so that I can fit my clothes better).