QUILTING WILL DOMINATE THE NEXT FEW MONTHS

TIME TO GET THIS FINISHED - 10 YEARS WORK IN PROGRESS

Saturday, June 25, 2016

ANOTHER BOX TICKED

My face is symmetrical .... well I hope so as there's some swelling. After 4 years and 5 months it will be nice to look in  mirror and not cringe. Honestly, I'm not vain. But my face looked so ugly with the twist and hollow left side as the muscle wasted away. For me the saddest part was losing my smile. What had once been a nice bright smile became a lopsided, twisted grimace. I felt as though I had lost any semblance of pleasantness and always looked cross or angry even when happy. I had to learn to smile a Mona Lisa type smile and always engage my eyes. Not a bad thing to do since eyes are a window to the soul.

Our wee grand-daughter was very concerned to see so many ouchies on Grandma's face. It took her all of 24 hours to be willing to come close enough to cuddle.

I was very relieved when the anaesthetist said I was well enough for a full anaesthetic. He listened to me carefully when I said I'd had some serious vomiting after other anaesthetics and he chose to not use gas but only intravenous. I woke up a couple of hours or so later, bright eyed and bushy tailed. That was a dramatic change from past experience when I could remember nothing for many hours after going into recovery. In fact, in the past. I have no memory of anything prior to waking in the normal ward bed with John telling me it went well. Then I would be sick for days, so much so I needed a drip for dehydration as well as the anti-nausea drug.

Long ago I came to the conclusion that doctors and surgery for me were not going to happen unless I had a broken leg or similar. I guess a broken face fitted that bill. I was so nervous. I wanted to run away except that I knew I would be very unhappy with self if I did so.

All's well and now I can heal up. I look forward to seeing the result sans bandage, stitches and swelling.

Three major things left for me are sorting out my teeth, Mum's house selling and getting our own home. Other than completing the List I can get on with living a normal life.

It's mid-winter here and very little snow on the mountains. I think it's cool this morning, 3'C/37.5F  and we should have a daytime temperature around 11'C/51'F with some rain. It is unusually warm with some parts of NZ going up into the 20'-23'C/68'-73'F I'm not complaining as it makes it easier for us if it doesn't get too cold. Snow in Christchurch is fairly common although it doesn't lie about for more than a few hours. The winter still has the coldest months to come so there's still time for snow in the city. I hope not.

I need to rest again. Catch up in a day or two.



8 comments:

Lynda said...

Fantastic news!!!! I hope our recovery is fast and I look forward to a photo of the new you :)

Retta said...

I'm sooo glad the surgery went well!

"After 4 years and 5 months it will be nice to look in mirror and not cringe. Honestly, I'm not vain. But..."

Oh, I understand very much what you are saying. JUST this morning I was at the dentist for the final fitting of my new "teeth", and they will be sent to the lab for them to make for real. I almost cried when I looked in the mirror, and they looked... normal. I had a smile again. It was ME in the mirror. I had felt like I lost "me" for the last 2 years when I looked in a mirror. Very sad and strange feeling. So I'm delighted for you that this has finally happened after all this time. :-)

JO said...

Wishing you a fast healing and the results you want.

Lyn said...

oh wonderful! I am so glad it went well. Hopes for a speedy recovery and a face you love to see in the mirror!

Chris H said...

How cool... house sold, surgery sorted, bring on more good news. So happy for you, I hope you are very happy with the results once everything settles down again.

Jacque Ojadidi said...

Thanks for share this article
Free Earrings

Jackie Birch said...

Yay, glad to hear the surgery went well. You won't recognise you :). Looking forward to seeing the results :)

Deb Willbefree said...

Woohoo!!! :D

What wonderful news to find on my first check in after so long.

I've prayed earnestly and often about your face being restored. I've thought you were so brave to carry on, even go on vacation, while feeling as you did about your reflection in the mirror.

It's been a couple of months since this post--I hope that the post-healing results are satisfactory. Could I have an update, please?

So glad to hear from you on my blog. It's a pretty poor shadow of its former self as I'm having a hard time getting back into the blogging routine. Maybe I'll do better in the fall--if we aren't raptured during the Feast of Trumpets in October, that is.

Seriously, I think this year may truly be the year in which we meet in the sky.

Deb