QUILTING WILL DOMINATE THE NEXT FEW MONTHS

TIME TO GET THIS FINISHED - 10 YEARS WORK IN PROGRESS

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

I WONDER

I IMAGINED MYSELF IN THIS PLACE, LOOKING OUT OVER THE RIVER, EXCEPT THE TREES WERE IN FULL LEAF WITH THE FRESHNESS OF TENDER SPRING GREEN

How many mixed metaphors and muddled grammar phrases can I manage to get into a single post?

Today I had a melt down.

All my chickens came home to roost.

That is, those chickens I've been counting before they hatched.

Right now I feel as though this has been one of the most difficult years I've ever lived through. I'm sure it's not but it has been full of hard things, (as well as the good things), and I've had to learn to be philosophical and constantly work at having a more positive outlook.

I've lost my cool, felt a distinct lack of respect from certain people and simply battled on, often on the edge of full blown depression, being happy to reach the end of the day and having a bed to climb into.

Losing the sale on Mum's house has put us in Queer Street financially. This not only makes life difficult but is highly embarrassing.

I work hard to manage our budget and thought I was making progress but today something comparatively small broke the camel's back. I have cried my eyes out. Nothing changed. Isn't that a surprise!

I have given myself a little time to think things through. I don't know how we will manage through the month but a while ago a special friend sent me a lovely reminder that God is not surprised. He is never caught out. I often am, but that doesn't change anything about God.

 Psalms 139:16 said this: "...all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." Thanks Loretta. I needed to be reminded of this again today. 

I have a choice. Review my budget so that it works as well as it can or go into a complete funk and sulk and spend more of what we don't have. I wouldn't mind being an ostrich.

Desperate for comfort I went to the pantry. Even that is looking a little sparse these days but there were eggs on the bench and yoghurt, cheese and celery in the fridge and I bought some coconut flour last grocery shop.

I made some delicious muffins by throwing into a bowl some coconut flour, with baking powder, pepper and salt, finely diced celery, eggs and plain yoghurt. That was brunch.

Now I'm ready to start sewing again.


We were heading to Christchurch the last time I posted. I was working hard and long hours sewing a knee rug for our son's mother-in-law. I am really pleased with the way it came out although it wasn't quite as I originally envisaged. I had a dead-line to get it finished and was so pleased to give it to Bev before we came home.


She was so delighted she surprised me with a bouquet of flowers a week later. What a lovely thank-you gift.

I'M REALLY PROUD OF MY HAND QUILTING
Since then I have been working on something to surprise our son and daughter-in-law for their New Year baby. I also have another knee rug in progress to give to my sister. It really should have been made last year but I wasn't doing any sewing then. I began patchwork quilting after an almost ten year break, when I made a a table runner for the Christchurch family in February this year. My sister had her 70th birthday in February and I couldn't think of a suitable way to mark it until I dreamed up this quilt. My plan was to have it finished before the end of the year but now I'm not so sure I can manage that. I guess I will be happy to have it finished before her 71st birthday.

The only things I have finished in the last few months were two blocks for an exchange from our Whitianga Quilting Group with one in Australia. It took me ages because I had to choose a design, then adapt it to my skill level and fit into the criteria we were given. I'm not good at any of those things but in the finish I am really proud of what I achieved and the quilting group in Australia is receiving some beautiful and unique blocks. You should see what the others in our group made. I hope I can get photos before they are posted away. It will be interesting to see how they configure the variety of blocks to make a wall hanging.

I'M NOT A SPORTY PERSON, BUT YOU CANNOT LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND WITHOUT BEING AWARE OF ALL OUR SPORTING ACHIEVEMENTS AND IN PARTICULAR OUR HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL RUGBY TEAM

THE POHUTAKAWA IS OFTEN CALLED THE NEW ZEALAND CHRISTMAS TREE

I THOUGHT MY EMBROIDERED POHUTAKAWA FLOWERS VERY CUTEE

I had so much fun finding the sporting pictures and putting these two 12 inch blocks together. I also learned a whole heap of things and although they are far from perfect my confidence has grown immensely and I look forward to doing something similar again.

This might be a bit of a weird post. Sorry for that, but it has helped me get over my funk.

Hopefully I will be back soon rather than abandon blogging for another lengthy period. Meantime, chin up! Things are not as bad as they might seem at first ... at least I hope that's true.


7 comments:

Merikay MacKenna said...

Chin up is a good ending. There has been a horrific drop in the US stock market these last few weeks. When we sold the house, that is where we put our nest egg. It is really scary to see it evaporate. A lifetime of savings!

Retta said...

So sorry to read it's such a hard year for you, Anne!

It's weirdly fascinating to me that we both have had an extremely hard year; both had disappointing set-backs we would much rather have not had; yet we both have had to accept that God knew/knows all about it. And even more interesting, we both decided to do more artistic stuff to add back joy and relieve stress. And most important of all, to put our hope in God.

And that finished knee quilt is colorful and lovely... made me smile!

In all my hard medical circumstances and financial hits this year, I felt like the Lord took me waaay back to a verse we used to sing in church: Rejoice in the Lord alway. I will say it again: Rejoice!

And I got it... I was to rejoice in HIM, not the circumstances. His love, nearness, comfort, encouragement... how He would let me know I wasn't forgotten. So... I've tried to let go, and just have fun with the new online art class I'm taking. To live, not stress over stuff I can't change.

Can't say I do it perfect (ha ha, not at all!). But it's sure helped.

I hope you feel His nearness and encouragement, too.

Well, off to go to bed on time (trying to be obedient there!).

Hugs to you,
Loretta


Lynda said...

I am so sorry to hear of your situation - I knew something was not right due to your lack of posts here. I just hope the house sells soon and you can be relieved of your financial woes.

The quilting is lovely - genuinely lovely. It is full of love and thought and time. Beautiful... you should be very proud of it!

Lynda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lynda said...

Sorry, that double posted for some reason!!

Jackie Birch said...

Thinking of you :)

Chris H said...

Bugger about the Whiti house sale falling through. I hope it gets sold soon, I know how much you have invested in it.
Your stithery is gorgeous!