QUILTING WILL DOMINATE THE NEXT FEW MONTHS

TIME TO GET THIS FINISHED - 10 YEARS WORK IN PROGRESS

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

THREE QUILTS

A few days ago I took this early morning photo along the street from our driveway.

NORFOLK PINES ETCHED DELICATELY AGAINST THE EARLY MORNING SKY

This morning we woke to a cloudy day. I was drinking my morning coffee and checking out the blogs which had been updated over night when it grew dark and cold. A heavy shower came through. The rain sounded like hail and the drops bounced off the deck. 


That was all I needed to designate the day for Quilting.

HOPING TO FINISH THIS BY SATURDAY
The runner is for our daughter-in law's birthday. I cannot remember the date but I think it's this month. When we were staying with them in Christchurch I thought the oak sideboard needed a patchwork runner. The sideboard was made by John's father eighty years ago, in the year before he married. We inherited it along with the matching dining table and four chairs which he also made. We passed it on to our youngest son when we were sorting out our possessions to go live in our bus home. Our son gave it to a friend who has tenderly restored the oak to look better than when we received it thirty plus years ago. It now sits in their front hallway.

I know our daughter-in-law favours blue so I looked through my miserable 'stash.' I had to buy the cream fabric for the sashing. It was a relief to find some suitable backing fabric and batting at the Glass House in Whitianga. This will be 100% hand stitched. I am so pleased my hands allow me to sew once more. I could not have done this three years ago when I was still eating wheat. My joints were becoming increasingly painful, and my hands were incredibly weak. I had become resigned to having arthritic hands. Our son and his wife are coming up for a week's holiday starting on Saturday. I hope she likes it and I will be looking forward to seeing how it looks on their sideboard.

BUTTERFLY QUILT

I began the butterfly quilt ten years ago when I thought we were going to be living full-time in the Old Purple Bus. I started with scraps I had after finding a pattern in a magazine. I had never done patchwork previously and had no idea how one went about quilting except that it is a craft women have done for hundreds of years. Life took a different turn and the quilt was put aside. Every few years I would become enthusiastic and pull it out again. This is entirely stitched by hand. I remember the trip up north when I began this quilt which was meant to go on our bed in the bus. It was so exciting to see each butterfly take shape. We were staying in the campground at Ruakaka when I completed the patchwork. There was an old hall which I was allowed to use for a couple of days. I was very thankful to have a place to spread  the quilt out flat. It was quite an experience laying it out to baste the sandwich of patchwork, batting and back fabric. I had to carefully fold and put it away for the dancing class which used the hall after school. 

I am determined to finish it this year.



The stack and slash patchwork is from a design given to me when I joined a quilting group. It's machine stitched and is also unfinished. I stopped going to the group when I needed to spend more and more time with my mother. I played around with it at home and but was never happy with it. Now I have it out again to complete. This one will be given to our other daughter-in-law to use as a knee rug. I'm not sure what I will use to back it yet. Maybe I'll not put in any batting but just a nice fleecy material. Nor am I sure whether I'll finish it by hand or machine.

This is the sum total of my experience with patchwork quilts. Three works in progress. I hope I can show something finished within the next three days.  Oh! and I still have to design my label and make it an stitch it on.

THE SUN GOES OWN BEHIND THE HILLS
(TAKEN THREE DAYS AGO)


2 comments:

Chris H said...

I didn't know you were a sewer/quilter! How did I miss that?
lol
Your quilt and runner are lovely.

Susan said...

Finally catching up on reading blogs. When I read this one it reminded me of the last RV Resort that I worked at. Their quilting group had a couple of "Quilt 'til You Wilt" and would keep quilting until sometimes Midnight.
Your projects turned out beautiful.