QUILTING WILL DOMINATE THE NEXT FEW MONTHS

TIME TO GET THIS FINISHED - 10 YEARS WORK IN PROGRESS

Friday, February 28, 2014

CARING FOR OUR FUTURE

i THREW A JACKET OVER MY NIGHTIE AND RUSHED OUT TO CATCH THE COLOURS AT SUNRISE

A few minutes later and dressed properly I went for a walk down to the beach. The sun was just beginning to peep over the hill. This was the first time for many months which is quite sad considering it's only a 500 metre/yard walk. I'm hoping this will be the first of many now that my eye is more protected. Not being able to blink for two years took it's toll on my whole body.

On my return John and I had a brief discussion about how unfit we have become and how picking up our old exercise habits is challenging. We puff when a little extra exertion is required and our muscles complain all too quickly. It reminds us that as we grow older we lose what little fitness we have at a much faster rate. It seems to become exponentially faster with each year. We can no longer afford to treat our little walks or bike rides as casual extras to our life. They are absolutely essential to our future well being.

That took me onto another line of thinking, totally related. In 12 years John will be 90 years old. Hmmm! Never thought of ourselves within range of real old age! I still have the best part of 15 years before I turn 90. It seems all too close.

It really is imperative that we take better care of ourselves. Many people are a mess as they head into their 90s. Or should I put it this way. There are not very many fit and active 90 + people. I think we have mostly dealt with matters of diet and weight. John now seems to becoming stable at 73 kg/161lbs and looks good. I guess a little weight lifting would do no harm. I am still working away at losing a few more kilograms. Ideally I'd like to lose around another 23 kg/50 lbs which is a lot. As I continue to eat a healthy diet this should simply happen although my weight loss has come to a crashing halt with even a gain, during the last few months.

Taking care of ourselves is going to mean two main things.

Number one must be our physical fitness. That means no more slacking off. It's not as though going for a walk is so difficult nor is it unpleasant. I love my walks and I cannot understand why I let such pleasure slip by. Sheer laziness I suspect. It's so easy to sit around and read. Meet Me,  a successful procrastinator! And that does not make me a successful or happy person.
EARLY MORNING ON THE BEACH IS A PERFECT TIME TO PONDER THE MEANING OF LIFE

The second thing is equally if not more important. And that is the nurturing of the soul or spirit.

My thoughts ran along two main lines to enhance our lives. One is to choose activities that stimulate and satisfy our creative minds. A walk in the bush, a meeting with friends and even a session at the hairdresser for me, works. The other is far more important, and that is to nurture my faith in God. Like life, this is an endless quest. There is always something new. Every sunrise is different, it may be similar, because it does have the same source but the clouds, the sun's position, the atmosphere, vary from day to day. In the same way daily encounters with God can be fresh, renewing life everyday.

I am about to read a book by T D Jakes called Water In The Wilderness, God's provision for our every need.


I think I might be coming out of the dark place I fell into a few months back. Life is good. God is Good. I am thankful to live the life I have.

There are no coincidences with God. We went for coffee while out shopping on Tuesday. As I walked to the counter to place our order I noticed a very special friend sitting at a table. I ordered and joined her. We chatted non-stop. It's the first time for months. I'm sure just being in her presence helped a little bit of God to rub off.



Yesterday another woman opened up in her on-line journal about her flawed relationship with her father. That sent me hunting for Father Heart Ministries as I thought there might be something there which would help her work through this phase of her searching for a better life. I found the videos on YouTube. I'd almost forgotten how much I love this ministry and the people who founded it. The International arm is headed up by two of my special friends, Linda and Trevor Galpin. I do miss being part of their scene on a regular basis.

And now it's time to go to be. The day is all used up. I haven't accomplished all I hoped to do but I'm yawning my head off. G'night.

2 comments:

Deniz said...

Wish I could join you on the wonderful walks, and share the obvious joy.

I loved it when I read what you'd written - "Life is good. God is Good. I am thankful to live the life I have."
Made me think that you are spot on the dot right - thanks for that.

MargieAnne said...

Thanks for your sweet comment. I really appreciate it.

Blessings