QUILTING WILL DOMINATE THE NEXT FEW MONTHS

TIME TO GET THIS FINISHED - 10 YEARS WORK IN PROGRESS

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

MORE ABOUT CURTAINS AND I NEVER SEWED MY FINGER

KITE DAY AT LAKE HOOD, CANTERBURY
The rain has stopped temporarily. Just as well it was a wet day because I was able to focus on finishing the curtains for the Old Purple Bus without feeling guilty about all the time I an spending indoors.

Did I mention yesterday that sewing with a sewing machine is not something I delight in?

Today we discovered I had messed up putting the hooks in the tape. Not only that but I'd sewn up the edge of the tape I needed to run the hooks through. 15.5 metres of stitching to unpick. Some of the curtains were too wide. Easy fix. Take out one panel of fabric and I had enough fabric then to finish the kitchen curtains.

It's taken most of the day to make good the mistakes and sew the three kitchen curtains. I started before getting dressed thinking I'd be finished in less than an hour. John got our tea ready while I finished about 6 pm. Ha! And I'm all ready for bed except a shower would be nice.

Job is now completely finished. ..... well almost. One curtain is too long so needs to come down again and be trimmed and re-hemmed. Done. The curtain rails at the side windows above the bed and dining table have broken slides. The only way to fix this is install new rails. John is telling me it is a tricky job. He'll do it and wonder later why he was so anxious about it.

Today I've spent hours unpicking.... thank goodness Jane had left the quick unpick tool in the gadget box. My fingers cramped. I've skinned a knuckle on some lever or other.The bobbin had to be re-filled over and over and it's tricky getting it back in. I had a bobbin jam. Actually that's not bad for all the hours sewing. To be honest it was easy material to handle and of course it was all straight stitching, nothing tricky.

The best thing is I'm happy with the colour. How often do you go out and buy fabric because it's the cheapest and hopefully will work and it does .... perfectly. Oh Yeah! I'm interior designer of the year... not.

Sage green was the only non hideous colour in suitable fabric at the Glass House, the local Emporium. The interior of the bus is painted cream and all the fittings are what's called forest green laminate. The curtains are pretty much the same colour but several shades lighter and look exactly right. Much better than the previous dusky blue curtains, which I quite liked. The upholstery is a deep grape shade. So our modest old bus looks pretty good. I'm not a fan of green but I really like this combination. I guess because there's a lot of blue in the green. Photos tomorrow after I've done a bit of tidying up to show it off.

Christmas decorations and finishing some mosaics I began in Christchurch are rising to the top of my To Do list.
THE FLYING OCTOPUS. I DON'T THINK THERE WAS ENOUGH WIND TO GET THE PIG OFF THE GROUND.

1 comment:

Kate said...

love the kite photos, bugger about the sewing lol you were having a good run with it all too!! looking forward to the photos xox