QUILTING WILL DOMINATE THE NEXT FEW MONTHS

TIME TO GET THIS FINISHED - 10 YEARS WORK IN PROGRESS

Sunday, February 27, 2011

LIFE GOES ON


SUNSET OVER VANCOUVER ISLAND, 11th JULY, 2009



What, you may ask is this photo doing here?

I was in a hurry to post and there is so much light in every room at Mum's I didn't see which snapshot I had chosen then I had no time to change it.





THIS IS MY INTENDED PHOTO. OH SO DIFFERENT.


SUNRISE OVER SIMPSONS BEACH







The Christchurch Earthquake dominates my thoughts night and day.

The good news is trickling out. people helping people. Amazing stories of escape and rescue. Help still comes from all around the globe. USA, Britain, Taiwan, China, Phillipines, Japan, Australia, Interpol, and more.

Our life continues. We have been at Mum's for the last 4 nights while our daughter had a break visiting friends. She arrived home last night and will continue her holiday here. The photo says it all. This is a wonderful place and she should have a good rest although I wish she could be right away from Mum. This is her choice of how to spend her holiday.

We will go home this afternoon and there will be laundry etc after having house guests. I'll be glad to be home. I used to love it here but it's not the same anymore. Beautiful place but I find it stressful being around Mum for any length of time. Not that Mum is difficult, in fact she has become reasonably independent once more. I'm still adjusting to this after several years of living on tenterhooks, not knowing when the next sudden emergency or ealth crisis would occur. Mum is only 2 months away from her 96th birthday and has serious heart problems. She gets around the house with a walking frame and beyond that needs a wheelchair. She is not overly demanding but there are things and we have our moments.

This has taught me a great lesson. Never let your children take responsibility for your full time care. Never tie your children down so that they no longer have freedom to follow their own dreams.

Having said that, I chose to do everything in my power to keep Mum in her own home so I made a rod for my own back and Mum does appreciate that this limits our choices.

I have never wanted to change my mind but just sometimes it gets to me.

I'm not a 'saint.'

I'll go to church shortly, still eating toast and marmalade, (ssshhh, we won't mention butter), and Nestle cappuccino sachet. Favourite food, but O so bad for me. Not one aspect of this breakfast fits my healthy plan. I crave comfort food and will need to do something drastic to recover from the last few days of eating whatever I feel like.

Time to go upstairs and see Mum.

Till later.

2 comments:

Hippygal said...

Life does go on, and you do a wonderful thing for your mum. Have an awesome Sunday and tomorrow begins another new week :-)

Phyllis said...

I can relate to your situation as last year we spent 4 months tending to hubby's mothers needs. He had to lift her from chair to wheelchair, to toilet. I removed her pants and would have to attend to her personal needs. He was in constant back pain from the lifting.

We were both getting resentful that we were on 24 hour duty. We had just retired and wanted to travel. 3 times we left the area only to be called back and told we were needed to stay with her.

We did all we could and have no regrets. However, it got to the point that hubby was putting own health in jeopardy from the constant lifting.

I agree - we do not ever want to become a burden to our own children and pray we never will be.