QUILTING WILL DOMINATE THE NEXT FEW MONTHS

TIME TO GET THIS FINISHED - 10 YEARS WORK IN PROGRESS

Saturday, January 1, 2011

NEW YEAR'S DAY AT THE BEACH



OUR NEIGHBOUR'S FLAME TREE IN BLOOM



It has been very quiet around our house today. The music and laughter and singing stopped about mid-day yesterday. The young ones caught a bus into town an went to a Rock Concert. They were so quiet coming home I never hear them.

Today they went to the beach for a few hours. Tonight they seem to have gone to bed early. The sun, the Rock Concert and the drinking has caught up. I bet they are in full swing tomorrow which will be their last day here before going back to Auckland and various jobs.

I cannot remember a quieter New Year's Day.

Not everyone was so lucky. Several friends said they've had noisy parties of up yo 100 young people racketing on until 4 am. Sadly there was a stabbing in Whitianga last night. The victim is fighting for his life. It's being treated as an attempted murder investigation.


FIVE CARS AND A SMALL TRUCK STACKED INTO MUM'S SMALL BACKYARD TODAY. It's not unusual to have 7 cars and a boat at this time of the year. Today the larger boats are all moored somewhere, and the small ones pulled up on the sand. Note the neighbours cars parked along the grass verge along the road. The road is narrow enough past Mum's house. We always send someone up on the road to watch for traffic when we want to go out. Gone are the days when my father would look up an want to know who was driving by.









SIMPSONS BEACH JUST BEFORE MY SWIM



Today has been good. I have been a little bit good and a little bit bad. I don't think the good will be enough to cancel out the bad.

Bad. I have eaten, a piece of shortbread, a piece of fudge, a piece of chocolate and several small chocolate cake balls. I also had a Nestle Cappuccino sachet with sugar. Hmmm! this is not the way to stop cravings.

Good. I went for a swim in the sea. It was lovely. I can feel my arms being made to work. I think it's good for my skin too.

I'm thinking I can go for a swim about 3 times a week until the water gets too cold. This is a good time of the year to start because it's about 8 weeks before the water starts to cool and then I can usually handle it for at east another month. I'm not my mother who got into the habit of swimming everyday for at least 4 if not 5 months. Finally her heart problems caught up but not until her 91st year. If I remember rightly she had a swim on her 90th birthday, May 5th, 2004. What a woman!

There are a couple of New Posts at NZ Diary for those who are interested.

2 comments:

Phyllis said...

I've always heard swimming is the best exercise. You are starting the year off right! Good for you.

Gail Durham said...

Good way to start off the new year!