QUILTING WILL DOMINATE THE NEXT FEW MONTHS

TIME TO GET THIS FINISHED - 10 YEARS WORK IN PROGRESS

Wednesday, January 5, 2011



I've put a new post about New Chum's Beach with photos on NZ Diary. I'm sorry my photo of Phil Koeghan has his face shaded. The peak on his cap did a great job of protecting him from the sun.

We have had a very quiet day. I'm very thankful for that.

Holidays times can be wonderful but they can also be terrible. I haven't written about the awful things that have happened lately but nonetheless we are aware of the drama, the anxiety, the sadness and the grief. Our small communities have been hit hard in the last few days.

At New Year there was a stabbing on the Buffalo Beach Road in Whitianga. Another young man went missing and has been found dead 25 km from where he was staying, a few doors from my mother's house. His death seems to be a mystery. On Sunday when we came home from Pauanui there was a road block where the Matarangi Road joins the Kuaotuna to Coromandel Road because there had been an awful motorcycle crash in which one man was killed. The Rescue Helicopter has been busy taking the seriouly injured or ill to hospital. There have been several boating incidents and it seems as though the Voluntary Fire Brigade get no rest at this time of year. They are first response to accidents be it sea or land. We live almost opposite the little Fire Station so we are very aware of how often they are called out.

Somehow tragedies seem harder to bear when you're on holiday. Yesterday we were having such a good time while the police were searching for the missing young man. His parents and friends were anxious and only had one thought, to find him safe, but it wasn't to be. I understand the shock of sudden grief in the midst of having a good time.

I understand why people cry out against God and the unfairness of life, But it doesn't solve problems. It doesn't make life any easier. I feel sadness for the families and friends of those who are injured or dead but it does no-one any good if I dwell on these things.

My daughter amazes me. I'm full of admiration for her. In our sparsely populated area the Community Nurses are also Hospice Nurses. A Community Nurse visits people in their own homes following doctor or hospital referrals. Most of their work involves would care and with a high percentage of older people there are things like varicose ulcers and other age related problems. They also visit the people who want to die at home rather than in hospital. In those cases the nurses often become an emotional anchor for the family. This week Jay worked an extra day to help the family of a woman who was unconscious while they waited for her to breath her last.

My sister-in-law, the one that drives me crazy, is head nurse on a trauma team. She is right there at the coal face with family co-ordinating the various services they need and making sure they have all the support they need. I have enormous respect for what she does and I know the people who work with her and the people and failie she helps have a great affection for her.

I'm such a whimp. I cave at the least little thing. That's why I'm not a nurse.

And on that note I'd better go to bed.

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

We have a family full of Nurses too, and I admire them all because I know there's no way I could ever do it. That's so horrible about that man dying, but you're right that you shouldn't let it drag you down or blame God for it. The best thing anyone can do in a situation like that is pray. *HUGS*

Phyllis said...

Oh my,a lot going on in your part of the world.

We were most appreciative on the Hospice nurses who stayed around the clock the last week of my mother in laws life back in Sept. Takes a special person for sure.

ladyofthehouse said...

Goodness this certainly is a season of very sad losses in your area. All those poor families.
Nurses do such amazing work! And the hospice nurses really are so special. It's a calling really.
Hope you have a great day!
diane :)

Chibi said...

I couldn't be a nurse, either - wimpy and way too sensitive for my own good. :-s

Samual said...

Its really a great Blog. . The development of advanced cancer surgery procedures with Leukemia treatment India lead to higher survival rate and improve the quality of life.

Judith said...

Hi Margie-Anne. I am at about the same stage as you - the option of staying where I am or getting even heavier is just not acceptable so over the next few months I am no longer playing at it but fully focussing on getting some weight off. I managed to take off 5 kilos over 2010, and put it all back on again over Christmas! So now I want to get rid of that, and a bit more. The prospect of shuffling into old age as I head for 66 is just not on! Good luck to you. We can do it!

RAVI DHIMAN said...

I was searching some thing relevant to this, And i am feeling lucky, as its the perfect one for what i am looking for. I will share this. Black Belt Six Sigma Online Certification

Dhiman-Seo-Service said...

Thanks for the useful information.I have been reading a lot of stuff about it.I loved to read this. keep it up. seo content writer Original, crisp copy that grabs attention and directs eyeballs to your website.