QUILTING WILL DOMINATE THE NEXT FEW MONTHS

TIME TO GET THIS FINISHED - 10 YEARS WORK IN PROGRESS

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

HEALTH UP-DATE


CHRISTMAS DINNER AT CROSSROADS CHURCH, WHITIANGA ON DEC. 6TH











How the days are flying by.

I've not been completely ignoring Blogland. Almost everyday I've up-dated and kept a diary here.

For ages I've been slightly under the weather. This has been caused by Candida or Yeast OverGowth. Not something my Doctor wants to know about so I've gone herbal and also some home made/self help ideas. I have skin rashes, diagnosed as fungal infection. The itching and burning keeps me awake at night and can make life miserable. So far the most effective treatment for my body has been soaking in the bath with hydrogen peroxide added before covering the affected areas generously with anti-perspirant. I've tried anti-fungal creams to no avail and 1% hydrocortisone creams and lotions are not a good option long term although they help somewhat. I also take an ant-histamine and that has reduced the intensity of the tingling and irritation.

As for my scalp, that worries me. I'm vain about my hair. So far I'm getting a little easing by using Nizerol followed by a soothing shampoo conditioner I bought in Canada but am fast running out of. Soaking my scalp in a kind of neutral aqueous cream for some hours before shampooing also helps sometmes. I feel as though I've tried everything and nothing really works. Tried Tea Tree shampoo and conditioner but was stingy and scalp was left itchy. I'll try again but I'm not convinced it's worth the effort.

The herbal tablets were probably doing some good especially when I began taking a pro-biotic as well, but I began to feel nauseous and fatigue set in. Nothing on my To Do list was getting done. I stopped taking them a few days ago and viola! energy returns and stuff is getting done.

The result of all this discomfit, lack of sleep and general fatigue means I have not exercised and walked as planned. That's been a serious downside to my fitness program. There will be no Boxing Day Half Marathon. Maybe I will manage a long walk but it will be over New Year as we have a busy few days after Christmas.

I've begun to lose weight again. The long stall around 97 kg, which began in mid-June, came to an end a few weeks ago when I realised I was fighting a battle with Candida. I have been very close to grain free and added sugar free for about 6 weeks. My weight had crept up to just over 100kg. Since then I've lost 5 kg. The weight has not come off quickly but I believe I'm now making progress.

It is interesting to me that this Christmas and New Year I will not have all the foods in the house that are bad for me. God is good! Christmas Day we will have lunch at Mum's and our daughter is cooking. I will make good choices. The most difficult will be over desserts. I think I will be so full of turkey and veggies I won't want anything more than a few strawberries. My resolve and my greedy eyes will be tested by pavlova, trifle, fruit salad, fresh whipped cream and icecream, not to mention he little nibbles Mum likes to have out. I'm giving myself freedom to eat dessert if I wish. We will be limiting the leftovers in our house. That's good. It will be easier for me to continue to make best choices.

Other than that, there will be the gift packages of eats including chocolates. I simply refuse to eat them except maybe the occasional once a week treat. TWJ will be so pleased to have them all to himself for once. *smile* I will make sure I have enough safe nibbles like nuts and whole grain rice crackers, cheese, celery, cold meats and eggs to snack on.

Sometime in January when life settles back into normal patterns I'm going dairy free for 4 weeks to see if that is a contributor to my skin problems.

I expect to keep on losing weight over the holiday period in spite of feasting opportunities. This will be a first for me. I'm thinking I could even be 93 kg/204.5 lbs when the bells ring in the New Year. Not quite onederland but closer than I've been for several years.

That's my health up-date.


























HAVE A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS

6 comments:

Ann (-50 lbs in -60 lb challenge) said...

Candida can be a serious thing. I hope you are soon on the mend!!

Merry Christmas to you and yours!! xx

Stephanie said...

First off, I LOVE the pictures. :) I hope you start feeling better soon. I agree with Ann. Candida can be a very serious matter. You just take care of yourself, okay? *HUGS* to you.

Anonymous Fat Girl said...

Love the pics! Have a Happy Holiday and hope you feel better soon. :)

Chris H said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS ANNE, may you and your family have a lovely silly season.

Cammy said...

Wishing you and family a very Merry Christmas, Margie Anne! And I do hope you find some relief for your itching very soon.

Hippygal said...

Have a very Merry Christmas to you and next year is a new year, we can do this :-)