QUILTING WILL DOMINATE THE NEXT FEW MONTHS

TIME TO GET THIS FINISHED - 10 YEARS WORK IN PROGRESS

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

I NEED SUNSHINE

.
.
Outside it's a dull, old, grey day,
Somehow there is still beauty in the lapping waves,
And misty veil spread across the sea to the cliffs on the other side of the bay.

Things are not good.
TWJ & I woke up with headaches.
It's not a good day to make decisions about anything.
It's not a good day to discuss things
Especially when we know we have fundamental differences.
But we did.

I went for a walk on the beach.
I saw him walking one way the beach.
I walked the other.
I don't know when I will feel like talking to him again.
Sometime today I will make the effort.
Right now not.

I thought.
I prayed.
Nothing changes.
Why am I in this situation?

Casually I picked a shell from the sand,
Thinking it might be a beautiful paua
Turning it over I expected
A glistening inner side
Filled with a rainbow of iridescent colours.
Not so,
Instead a common old limpet
Which absentmindedly went into my pocket.

Inside my pocket
Worried fingers rubbed the rough, gritty surface,
A surface pitted and holed by worms,
A surface crusted with a lifetime in the ocean,
Yet in this state it was strong.

I could tell
It would take a hammer,
Wielded with a strong arm
To break this shell.

I thought about the inner surface
Hidden from my eyes,
The heart designed to nurture life
An inside creamy white and silky smooth
Delicate with subtle iridescent colours
Beauty hidden.

There's nothing pretty about this shell,
It's very ordinary,
Some eyes would only see it's ugliness,
When if fact it's beautiful.

I have a treasure.
.
.

4 comments:

Rettakat said...

This was beautiful. Very poetic, with profound truths.

Thank you for sharing, I found this touching.
Loretta
=^..^=

Merikay said...

Life is the treasure.

Chris H said...

I hope you and the hubby have worked out your differences now. Walking on the beach in different directions is sad.

Stephanie said...

Hello Margie! You've been nominated for an award! :) Please visit my blog at http://www.unveilingthediva.blogspot.com/ for more details. Congrats! *Hugs*