QUILTING WILL DOMINATE THE NEXT FEW MONTHS

TIME TO GET THIS FINISHED - 10 YEARS WORK IN PROGRESS

Monday, September 6, 2010

FEELINGS IN THE AFTERMATH OF THE CHRISTCHURCH EARTHQUAKE

The earthquake in Christchurch has affected me in a way that, while expected, is rather strange. I feel much the same as I did when we saw the TV footage of the collapse of the Twin Towers and the aftermath. Emotion. Disbelief. Grief. Concern for those who are caught in serious circumstances and for the workers, paid and volunteers. Part of the distress comes from our own helplessness. We can't cook a meal and rush it to a needy neighbour there's nothing we can do except watch and pray. The scale of the disaster is different but the feelings are the same.

The danger is not over. Last night a sink-hole appeared in a place that previously looked safe. After-shocks are still frequent and nobody knows whether there will be another big quake or whether the after-shocks are as simple as the ground settling into it's new conformation. Either way every after-shock brings the risk of more damage and falling debris. The State of Emergency has been extended to Mid-day Wednesday, another 2.5 days. Most schools are closed for miles around and no public transport.

There are bad weather concern. Last night strong winds were forecast but it turned out they weren't too bad in the city while the power department has another 2000 properties without electricity. Rain is now being forecast. Water is not necessarily fit to drink and many people are in temporary Welfare Centres because their homes are inhabitable.

I'm turning off TV soon because we have many things to do this morning and I feel so discombobulated I'm going around in circles getting nothing done. Our life must go on. It does no-one any good if I loose the plot.

For the rest of the month we have quite a lot going on. For the next two weeks we will be staying some nights at Mum's and travelling over on the days when we are able to stay home. I have two River Days one of which I am the speaker. Both involve some travel. The one at Omokoroa where where I'm speaking possibly involves a night away from home. And I need to get me laptop fixed.

This month is unexpectedly full of danger moments for my weight loss and plans to improving my health. I will take each day as it comes and make reasonable choices but I'm not as positive about my progress as I was before I knew I had to spend so much time at Mum's house, The Minefield. Past experience tells me I will get exceedingly tired. For some reason Mum wears me out even when I'm not doing anything.

We celebrated Father's Day yesterday with Jane bringing Mum over to have lunch with us. I couldn't wait for them to leave in the afternoon and fell asleep as soon as they'd gone and I could relax again.

Time to get moving again. I haven't had my breakfast yet and I need to wash my hair and pack. I guess it will be dark before we get home again on Wednesday.

5 comments:

Margie M. said...

Just do the best you can at your Mum's house. Family justs wears me to a frazzle sometimes so I can totally understand you needing to rest when everyone left you.

Hope the major damage is now behind everyone there in NZ. We have gotten reports that there were no deaths in the quake, so that is a good thing.

Take care.

Kate said...

i am very glad you guys aren't directly affected by the quake margieanne. it does have quite a few indirect consequences though :( thinking of you guys and i hope you are staying well xox

Ann (-6.5 lbs in 60 lb challenge) said...

"The Minefield" says it all ... I chuckled at that one! I'm glad you have kept your sense of humor through it all. I agree with Margie, just do the best you can. That is all anyone can do. xx

Merikay said...

I couldn't park in a parking garage or stop under a bridge for months after the earthquake here!

About a month after the quake, I was feeling very sorry for myself. All my dishes and glasses that were not in the dishwasher were broken.

One morning I found myself baking a chocolate cake. I then ate almost half of it before it was cooled!

Shocked at what I had eaten I called the Red Cross to see if there was anyway I could volunteer. There was. They needed local people who knew the mountain roads who could drive the out of town adjusters to call on victims still in their homes to see if they needed any additional help.

As a driver, I saw people who were living in garages and tents outside their condemned homes

It was a real wake up. I stopped feeling sorry for myself.

Now whenever there is a disaster I cll and donate at least $50 - $100.

Chris H said...

So many have been affected by the earthquake, even if their properties were not. Very sad all round.
I hope you can relax a bit ... try not to get so het up over things you cannot do anything about chick.