QUILTING WILL DOMINATE THE NEXT FEW MONTHS

TIME TO GET THIS FINISHED - 10 YEARS WORK IN PROGRESS

Monday, September 20, 2010

2010 DAFFODILS AND A FUNERAL












I got my spring photos for this year on Sunday afternoon. They aren't the best partly because the ground was very wet and I was in my good 'Go To Church' clothes. I wanted to kneel on the ground but it was like mud oozing through a spongy mat of grass and moss. My favourite is the one showing the orange and blue canoes in the old boat shed. That was the first one I took and all the others were taken trying to avoid the canoes. After all my goal was daffodils with a backdrop of blue sea and sky. I'll try to do better next year.

Talking of daffodils we went to the funeral There was a bouquet of daffodils on the casket which had been grown by Gordon's mother at Cherry Tree Farm in the Rangatikei. When that farm was sold and Gordon moved to the lower Coromandel Peninsula a collection was brought up with him and has been nurtured by the family of one of his step-sons. It was a lovely romantic touch to have them there today. I must remember to tell Mum. Auntie Olive's garden inspired Mum and was a delight to visit.

I'm glad we went to the funeral although it was the most tedious service I have ever been to. The best part was the traditional tribute by the Returned Service's Association for the final 2 or 3 minutes. The person taking the service seemed very vague and just there to go through the ritual and read the right words without considering the meaning. It all seemed very impersonal.

As it turned out it was important we were there to support one of my cousins. Mum's 92 year old brother insisted in going so his daughter was roped in. We had lunch together before going to the Church and she was glad to be with someone she knew. I also found myself locked in conversation with Gordon's God-Son/stepson for a lengthy time. His mother married Mum's cousin after his Dad died. Talking with this man felt funny, odd, peculiar. When we were children I thought he was a creep. I doubt if we would be friends now but I don't really know him, so maybe. It was as though I was the only one there he could talk to. Thinking about it, I was one of the few people there he knew apart from his children, nieces and nephews.

We're tired. We left home at 9.30 am and walked back into our house about 6.15 pm. The drive was not particularly pleasant although we didn't strike much rain.

Tonight the wind is slamming against the house and heavy rain showers. At least we are not experiencing the storms of some areas. Flooding is closing roads and down south they have snow. The roof of a fairly new stadium collapsed with the weight of snow. I've never heard of snow doing this in New Zealand before now. The snow is a tragedy for sheep farmers as it's hit at the most vulnerable time for new lambs. I fear for the farmers Some will have lost their main income for the whole year. It's overwhelming. Earthquake, storms, flooding. I feel very much on edge with the wind even though I know we are in no danger.

Off to bed in a few minutes. Tomorrow I have to put my thoughts in order for my talk and write out my prompt cards. The wind whistling around the house and banging away at the walls is unsettling.

3 comments:

Phyllis said...

With all that has occured in our own lives the last week, I feel so out of touch with my blogging friends.

I must say, your writing is a joy to read. The daffodils are my favorite sign of Spring. As we go into our fall/winter seasons, those pictures are my reminder that these months will not last forever and I can once more welcome Spring. Thank you, dear one.

Stephanie said...

Sending you a ton of hugs and prayers. Those are beautiful pictures. I love daffodils. :) Good luck with your speech!

Hippygal said...

Love the photos, wish the weather would match the spring flowers.......