QUILTING WILL DOMINATE THE NEXT FEW MONTHS

TIME TO GET THIS FINISHED - 10 YEARS WORK IN PROGRESS

Saturday, August 7, 2010

MOUNTAIN CLIMBING

These photos of Mt Ngauruhoe and Mt Ruapehu, which is shrouded in cloud, were taken from the Dessert Road on the Central Plateau of the North Island by one our children. I cannot take any credit for them.

The mountain waits




A few days ago, (17th July), Janine wrote this. I hope you don't mind me quoting you, Janine.

"I got a message on my Facebook this morning from my WLS buddie Annie..... Well she knows that I am struggling at the moment, so she sent me the words to the Miley Cyrus song......I don't personally know it, but the words are kind of powerful!"


I don't know the singer or the song either, but I have copied the words here because they speak strongly to me right now.








It’s the Climb – Miley Cyrus

I can almost see it
That dream I’m dreaming but
There’s a voice inside my head sayin,
You’ll never reach it,
Every step I’m taking, every move I make feels
Lost with no direction
My faith is shaking
but I got to keep trying
Got to keep my head held high

There’s always going to be another mountain
I’m always going to want to make it move
Always going to be an uphill battle,
Sometimes you going to have to lose,
Ain’t about how fast I get there,
Ain’t about what’s waiting on the other side
It’s The Climb

The struggles I’m facing, the chances I’m taking
Sometimes they knock me down but
No I’m not breaking
The pain I’m knowing but these are the moments that
I’m going to remember most yeah
Just got to keep going
And I, I got to be strong
Just keep pushing on



If you've ever climbed a mountain or even a long, steep hill you know the pain of getting to the point where you don't think you can continue. You have a choice. Abandon the climb and struggle down as best you can or continue to the top and experience the exhilaration of success.

Once upon a time when I was a very young woman I climbed a section of Mount Egmont. It was cold and snow not far away and I was poorly dressed by mountain standards. Thankfully we had expert help to get us down. The experienced climbers roped us together and guided us over the tricky Razorback. And I gave up mountain climbing. I wasn't willing to prepare myself for winter climbing with the right gear. I also learned a few things about me. I was scared, almost to the point of paralysis. Mountains and that kind of fear are dangerous. But I discovered a love of tramping.

My biggest regret is that I didn't find a way to continue to involve myself in the sport. I'd have loved it. Now I have plenty of time to enjoy tramping and I can only manage easy walks. My days of scrambling up steep hills are gone unless I build up my strength and agility. One of my goals is to extend my ability and enjoy longer hikes.


Large mountains can be daunting but people successfully climb them every day. Sometimes they have to renegotiate their chosen route but the goal is always to reach the top. I'm not aware of anyone who has climbed a significant mountain without a support team.

Losing weight can seem like facing a huge mountain. There are so many similes I won't go on about too many lest I become boring.

Sometimes you need to rest a while, catch your breath and gather strength to continue the onslaught. The real danger is becoming careless or taking too great a risk. Taking a tumble can be fatal. To end up with a damaged body because you aren't watching your step is all too common.


Right now I'm recovering. I took a long slide backwards. At least I was able to stop safely but it's such a pain when you have to pick yourself up, clean off the skid marks, check for injury and begin re-tracing your steps upward. Those steps to retake the lost ground seem to go on forever but you can't reach the top unless you face them first. It feels like drudgery. I barely have energy to lift my head to look out at the view.


The view from up the mountain can be stunning. When all is going well with weight loss it is exciting. All you want to do is get in another great day. Life spreads out in front of you full of exciting opportunities and it's as good and beautiful as a picture postcard.



I want those days again.

I will have those days again. I cannot allow myself to fail.


It’s The Climb

The struggles I’m facing, the chances I’m taking
Sometimes they knock me down but
No I’m not breaking
The pain I’m knowing but these are the moments that
I’m going to remember most yeah
Just got to keep going
And I, I got to be strong
Just keep pushing on


Janine is a ground breaker. She has organised New Zealand's first Weight Loss Surgery Conference. It sounds very exciting. There's a Facebook place for those who want to know more.

2 comments:

Margie M. said...

Your views from the mountain are great. You're doing well, MargieAnne. Backsliding is normal...not letting it overtake you is the main thing. You seem to be on the right path after all.

cmoursler said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG2zyeVRcbs

That link will take you to the video of the song..It's by Miley cyrus...it's even prettier to listen to.