QUILTING WILL DOMINATE THE NEXT FEW MONTHS

TIME TO GET THIS FINISHED - 10 YEARS WORK IN PROGRESS

Thursday, July 1, 2010

TIME! IT'S NOT SOMETHING I HAVE A LOT OF TODAY


This is one of the days I'm on duty at Mum's for most of the day. I never have enough time at home to fully attend to my Blog addiction.

Currently Mum is grumpy, not sleeping well and generally not feeling great. It's all to do with medication. There is so much stuff available to keep people alive and hopefully comfortable that you have to wonder about our use of pharmaceuticals. I know just how essential and helpful they are but there is no artificial chemical we can add to our bodies that does not have some kind of side affect.

Late last year the Dr. put Mum on some extra diuretic because her legs were seriously and uncomfortably swollen. 6 months later her skin is dry and so itghy she wants to tear it all off. I know how that can be but to have that feeling all over your body must be excrutiating. Mum has a variety of things to use to alleviate the itch but they are not sufficiently effective at giving relief. Jay, our daughter, a registered nurse who lives with Mum, discussed this with Mum and they decided to try a full week without this medication. I hope Mum gets some instant relief but I suspect it will take longer and what do we do if she swells up again. Her regular diuretic can be increased but then we need to keep her electrolytes up. It's all a balancing game. She must have an incredibly strong heart. She has been through so much and her BP is so far off the chart her Dr rarely takes it. When he does he jokingly comments, 'Are we strong enough to handle the shock!'

The sun is shining and I have no excuse for not walking ..... well it will be cold on the beach at Mum's. There is a southerly breeze. Still I must stop being a whimp before my legs fall off.

And that's all I have time for today.

1 comment:

Anonymous Fat Girl said...

Walking on the beach can be a great workout. I always think of the Jason Bourne movies where he is just running his behind off on the beach. That's tough stuff. Hope your Mum is feeling better soon. :)