QUILTING WILL DOMINATE THE NEXT FEW MONTHS

TIME TO GET THIS FINISHED - 10 YEARS WORK IN PROGRESS

Monday, May 3, 2010

A HARD PHONE CALL - THE KIND OF CALL NONE OF US WANT TO RECEIVE

I've just heard that one of my sister's in law, Jenny, has been in a car accident and is in the trauma unit following a car accident. Her family are on their way from Auckland and Matarangi, to Hamilton, her other daughter lives in Bali. The news we have is not good. All I can hope is that it's early days and often people overcome the early reports but I don't have much hope.

I feel so sad for my nephew and nieces. They lost their father to cancer when they were quite young, all under 9 years old. He had battled malignant melanoma for 3 years before he died so that was a very difficult time. A number of years later Jenny remarried but it wasn't successful. Then she got together with an old friend and we were all so happy for her. They were 'soul mates,' and had so much fun together until he died after a bad car accident. This year our niece in Bali lost her MIL to cancer. This women was also a very close member of their whole family and her illness was a shock to them. Jenny also lost her mother, "Grandma town," to distinguish her from my mother, late last year.

We feel helpless. There is nothing we can do except wait for the next piece of news. My other SIL is on staff in this department of the hospital so we should be kept well informed. Jay, my daughter, is very upset. She was with one of my nieces less than an hour before we heard. Because Jay is a nurse and familiar with family needs when things go bad I am listening to her. She is thinking we might need to go to Hamilton to be support my niece and nephew. Jay thinks they might appreciate their aunt being with them. This all puts our plans for Mum's birthday in the air. Life changes in a moment. Jenny had just returned from UK partly to be here for Mum's birthday.

My mother will be very upset. She became very close to Jenny while my brother was sick and through the following years they have been a tremendous support to each other. This is the third traumatic experience on Mum's birthday. It's all very weird. When my brother was very ill Mum was told, on her birthday, that he had a brain tumour and we knew this meant things were too serious. Another birthday we took her to spend her birthday with her youngest sister. We arrived to find my aunt had died suddenly of a ruptured brain aneurysm while we were driving over.

I want to scream. Why does stuff keep happening? It does no good to think like this.

Whatever the outcome we are in for some difficult days. I hope and pray that it's not as bad as we've been lead to believe.

UPDATE

The medical staff have said they will do their best to keep Jenny alive until her daughter arrives from Bali tomorrow afternoon.

In a moment life has changed for all of us but especially her own children grandchildren, brother and sister. I can't believe that this fun loving,vibrant woman is on life support.

11 comments:

Kate said...

aw thats terrible news margieanne, i am keeping your sil in my thoughts and although i am not a very religious person i will say a prayer for her safe recovery. mwah xox

Anne said...

So hard to deal with, some people go through so much. Very sorry to heard the news.

Crystal said...

awwww i'm so sorry for the hardships you are going through... you and your family will be in my prayers

Thrice Blessed said...

I am so sorry to hear this, how terrible. I will be praying for you.

Amy said...

Margie Anne... my gosh!

I am so so so so sorry!!

Praying right now...

Seth said...

try to stay positive. I just prayed for you too.

Cammy said...

I'm so sorry! You and your family will be in my prayers.

Sylvia said...

I'll keep Jenny and your family in my prayers. I'm so sorry for this tragic accident. :(

Hippygal said...

Am so sorry to hear that news....thinking if you all xx

Ashley said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. Prayers and good vibes go out to you all during this difficult time.

Barbara said...

I'm so sorry. Your family is definitely in my thoughts and prayers today.