QUILTING WILL DOMINATE THE NEXT FEW MONTHS

TIME TO GET THIS FINISHED - 10 YEARS WORK IN PROGRESS

Saturday, April 24, 2010

PHOTO WALK WITH THE MAN

.

Yesterday I was so restless I needed to find something interesting, something new, something different, to do. I mentioned to TWJ that I'd like to go for a walk that started at the top of the Whangapoa Hill on the road to Coromandel town. I began a web search of walks on the Coromandel Peninsula because TWJ didn't believe the one I mentioned existed. I finally found a description of the walk but I didn't let on it might be a bit beyond me right now. I settled on this one.TWJ was very concerned that we do a short walk.






The sign says 30 minutes return. TWJ is happy.







Hmmm! What goes down must come up

The estuary looking across some mangroves to a glimpse of boats at the fishing wharf and Castle Rock on the skyline

A patch of blue sky - The sun came out after we climbed in the car to come home

coastal bush

Path across the small sand spit that makes Opera Point.
The white sand was once loaded by hand, shovels and barrows, onto barges to be shipped to the Glass Manufacturers
If you can't see my face you can't see me.

Looking back across the Estuary to Matarangi, where we live, and the sand bar, no surf today, which causes untold problems for boaties


Twisted and contorted roots clinging to rocks into the tidal area.
The northern coastline is noted for Pohutukawa trees.The Pohutukawa flowers from November to January with a peak in mid to late December with brilliant crimson flowers covering the tree. We call it the New Zealand Christmas Tree.



Taking photos gave me the excuse I needed to follow slowly up the steep paths and steps.


After our walk we had a little drive around Whangapoa Beach.



This was the first time either of us has set foot on Whangapoa Beach which is about 12 minutes from home, (in the car). We can't walk from here to there without taking a good long swim across the Estuary. Although we've driven over there a few times for a quick look we've never got out of the car. We are totally spoiled for choice with beautiful beaches wherever we go.

The day was a success.

Today I feel a lot calmer and have kept to my healthy plan.

1 comment:

Kate said...

i see you hiding margieanne!!! what beautiful scenery such a clean looking place!