I wrote the following comment on Jenn's Blog.... watchmybuttshrink and thought I would post it here under a label for future reference. My 'wisdom' surprises me.
Do you want some advice re your children?
Only continue if the answer is yes.
Al my children have a weight battle as adults, some more successful than others. Obviously I got some things very wrong.
My advice. Never make a big deal of size or shape. Don't instill them with a fear of being fat .... they will get enough of that in the media & school. Affirm their beauty, and your love but don't lie about their shape
2. Encourage them to eat healthy. What you have in the house is an indication of what they will grow up with and turn to as 'comfort' food.
3. Make sure they are active. Kids love to be active and don't let the girls buy into the idea that it's not cool to play games or do exercise. Chose family outings that involve walking or hiking or something active.
4. Just as you are learning to find other ways to destress or handle difficult times make sure that they have alternatives to food when feeling stressed, excited or celebratory.
5. Find ways to help them enjoy food. It is a large part of life. Maybe get them involved in preparing healthy food.
6. Make sure as is appropriate they have a good understanding of health, good nutrition, fitness. Don't take birthday cakes off the menu.
7. Eat whole foods and naturally produced foods as much as possible. I know that in this world of everything in a packet this isn't always easy but if you do not produce meals from scratch then you are all missing out on something special .... food as it was intended. Doing your own preparation also avoids excess sodium and sugar and other nasties such as artificial flavourings.
8. Be glad you are concerned. Don't worry. Just do your best to give your family a healthy lifestyle.
9. Knowing you have done your best ..... never, never feel guilty.
10. Children who grow up secure in the knowledge that they are loved for who they are and not some mental image their parents have are stronger emotionally and spiritually.