QUILTING WILL DOMINATE THE NEXT FEW MONTHS

TIME TO GET THIS FINISHED - 10 YEARS WORK IN PROGRESS

Monday, June 16, 2008

BIRTHDAY DINNER WAS DELICIOUS


It's all over for me except for next week when Jay comes home from Turkey with my Bali jandals.


It's been a better day than I deserve. Another one of those days when things go mainly to plan. Yay! I went to the gym this afternoon & according to the exercise calculator on the Woman Challenge I did the equivalent of 8000 + steps. Was really pleased as did all my exercises including 12 minutes on the crosstrainer, (which is similar to the elliptical), without any bother after not doing anything for 2 weeks. I feel really good in my body too. Not tired or stressed. Took my list to the SuperMarket and added no extras but it still cost a bomb because I bought a few luxuries I don't usually buy.


My sister prepared & baked the veges & an apple pie while I cooked the pork, & got the crackling almost perfect. I made gravy of onion, apple, cider vinegar & the meat juices, new recipe that worked out OK even though I had to do things in a different order. I also made a nice salad of green leaves, red & yellow capsicum, (bell peppers), spring onion, (scallions), & cherry tomatoes. I poached pears in cider and spices reducing the poaching liquid to make the most gorgeous pouring syrup, the aroma filled the house, and served them with creme fraiche. I've never poached pears like that before, nor have I eaten creme fraiche before tonight. It was all so light and delicious. Wonderful to have a special meal with yummy food and not feel bloated afterward. I know it was a blow out as far as carbs are concerned but portions were small and I feel good about it. What was special is that I served food for 6 of us almost as good as any decent restaurant for less than TWJ and I would have spent on a meal out for 2. I enjoyed the preparation & cooking and it was very pleasant to not get all dressed up and go out in the weather. It has been bucketing down nearly all day, windy, murky, and the sea is roaring.


I want to take a photo but it would just come out grey instead of showing the exhuberance of the wind and waves. Instead I've pinched another photo out of H's collection.

7 comments:

Cammy said...

I'm so glad your special day was everything you wanted it to be!! Way to go on the exercise, too!

Skinny Inside said...

Hi MargieAnne, I'm glad you enjoyed your Birthday dinner! You DO deserve amazing days:-) What's Bali Jandals? Also, is that calculator on the Woman Challenge something that converts your activity to steps? I'd love a link to that!

Have a great day, it's good to hear you doing well.

Anne said...

Your meal sounded delicious:-)

I've found that I enjoy cookigjn a lot more and really think about the flavours and colours of what I'm preparing. Eating is a different experience nowdays. Rather than eat without even thinking I really enjoy.

kate said...

wow my mouth is watering with the description of your dinner margieanne. you sound really happy to have enjoyed a nice meal without it being over the top or overly expensive.

keep it up

Irish Mom said...

Happy Birthday!! Your dinner sounds awesome & you deserved it!!

dadivastreet said...

Dinner sounded great! Wishing you a Belated Happy Birthday!

Honi said...

so glad you had a sweet birthday ... and glad u are doing well too.. I gotta know too what are bali janals.. very curious...