QUILTING WILL DOMINATE THE NEXT FEW MONTHS

TIME TO GET THIS FINISHED - 10 YEARS WORK IN PROGRESS

Monday, May 26, 2008

TODAY'S GOALS AND .....

Today I will go to the gym and hopefully walk on the beach as well. Joining the Healthy Challenge Walkers Team got me moving Saturday and again yesterday when I would probably have found some'legitimate' excuse to do nothing.

TWJ has just buried my mother's beloved Ragdoll cat called Georgie. We live on a road with increasing traffic. I'm thankful Georgie was killed instantly and was almost unmarked. Sad for us all and Mum will miss him terribly. I don't think we will get another cat because of the road. I am so sad for Mum. He was often her reason for living, giving her the incentive to get up when she didn't feel like it and she loved fussing over him and talking about his antics. I can't help wondering how she will manage without him. At least my sister is here to help divert Mum's attention.

I saw him when we came back from work last night and rushed up hoping that I'd only find a plastic bag on the edge of the road. It was awful telling Mum & Sis. I had to do that 3 years ago when her beautiful Birman was found just after being killed on the road. We now have 4 cat graves as my sister has buried hers here too. I wish our pets were here but they are scattered over 4 properties we no longer own or have access to. I was going to have pan fried fish for supper but after all that didn't feel like cooking and wanted a big dose of comfort food. Because of my Challenge with Skinny Inside I was able to restrain myself and cut a piece of low fat cheese and made a drink of hot Chocolate with only 6 gm carbs. Meant my carbs went above the 20 gm mark I'd set for myself but I thought the circumstances exceptional enough to allow a medium increase.

Now that must be a first for me. I am a winner. I rose to the challenge and won.

Today I have been reading about cravings in my LFL Work-book. I wish I could quote it all but forgetting about copyrights I am a slow typist.

Definition of Craving:- Merriam-Webster - "an intense, urgent, or abnormal desire or longing"

Cambridge - "a strong or uncontrollable desire:

Wikipedia - "A food craving is an intense desire to consume a particular food, as opposed to food in general. Food cravings are especially common in people following structured diet plans, and often interfere with the best of intentions to adhere to a particular style of eating.

Foods with higher sugar glucose, such as chocolate, are often more craved than foods with lower sugar glucose, such as broccoli.

Food cravings are also commonly seen in pregnant women. The craving of non-food items is called pica.

A widely accepted reason for certain cravings (especially during pregnancy) are a drop in the bodies levels of the vitamins and minerals contained in the food craved. A person on a strict diet, may therefore crave items considered 'unhealthy' as they contain high sugar glucose, which they have become defficient in.

[edit] Commonly Craved Foods

* Alcohol
* Chicken wings
* Chocolate
* Ice cream
* Peanut butter
* Pickles
* Pizza
* Potato chips
* Pretzels
* Soft drinks


Lean For Life - "A nagging temptation for one of your favourite foods grabs hold and refuses to let go. The more you try to ignore it, the more tormenting it becomes. You feel light headed, irritable, edgy. Your mouth waters. Minute by minute, your willpower erodes like a sandcastle at high tide." From pg 81 Lean For Life by Cynthia Stamper Graff.

Another quote from Graff. "Did you know cravings don't just happen? They're the result of various physical, psychological, and environmental factors that affect the way your body and brain function."

Some of the benefits of LFL are these. 1. Being in ketosis seems to reduce cravings.
2. There is good information such as Seretonin levels affect cravings so it could be worth discussing how to boost these levels with a Medical Professional.
3. Some of us who are stress merchants use food to tranquilize. LFL has a few stress management tools to help instead of food.
4. LFL advocates moderate exercise of 10,000 steps a day and not the 'no pain, no gain' school of thought.

Moderate exercise benefits muscles in two ways. You develop more mitochondria ... those tiny egg shaped fat burning thingies in your muscles, therefore it becomes easier to stay in ketosis, and you develop more insulin receptors on the surface of cells. I hadn't registered this last one until this morning and it looks really good for someone like me who has a measure of insulin resistance or pre-diabetes trends. The insulin receptors help move sugar from the bloodstream to the muscle cells and this helps stabilize blood-sugar and reduce cravings. That is so cool. Just by walking up to 40 minutes most days I can change my body chemistry. How simple is that?

2 comments:

Skinny Inside said...

Hi there, I'm so sorry to hear about your Mum's cat. But, I'm thrilled that you resisted and made a healthy choice! You're so lucky to live on/by the beach! I grew up in a beach house, and really miss it. Have a great day:-)

Anne said...

Sorry to hear about your mohter's cat. Sad as I'm sure she will miss the company.

Interesting reading the facts about cravings.